Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Enchiladas and Mexican Rice

Hi there,

I've been a slacker in keeping up to date on the blog, my apologies. It worked out very well for me too. It was nice to not have to think about what to cook for supper everyday.

I'm up for meeting sometime the week. BBQ does sound good, also the munchies you guys posted is nice too since the summer is the time you go on picnics and outings and whatnot. It's nice to have something to grab to add to the picnic lunch.

I forgot to include the Enchilada recipe so here it is:

Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas

3-4 chicken breasts cut into small cubes or small thin slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 sweet pepper (optional) (your choice of colour), diced or cut in small slices
1/2 package of cream cheese, cubed (I use the reduced fat kind to decrease the amount of fat but haven't tried the no fat kind, it may not melt as well)
1/2 cup salsa (sometimes I add more to get the right colour/texture, adjust to taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 - 10 small sized soft tortilla wrappers

Heat oven to 350.
Add oil to a large frying pan and cook chicken over medium heat.
When the chicken is no longer pink add the onions. Cook until softened then add the peppers.
Cook for around another 3 minutes, until it looks all cooked and tender.
Stir in salsa and cream cheese and cumin. Cook until cream cheese is blended.
Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. The sauce should be a light orange color. If you think the sauce is too pale add some more salsa. If it looks too thin add some more cheese, either kind.

Spoon chicken mixture into center of each tortilla and roll. Place seam down in a baking dish. Place them side by side in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes.

Garnish with sour cream and serve with Mexican Rice if you like.

Mexican Rice

1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (it actually calls for 3 tablespoons but I find its too greasy so I halved it)
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp cumin
1/4 chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (it actually calls for 2 cups but it takes forever to cook, I now use 1 1/2)

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly until puffed and golden (or at least golden, mine never seems to puff much) . While rice is cooking sprinkle with cumin.
Stir in onions and cook until tender.
Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. (I do find it takes at least 30 minutes, probably longer, more like 35 minutes, especially if you use 2 cups of chicken broth)
After the 30 (or 35) minutes fluff the rice with a fork, remove from heat and let sit, covered for another 5 minutes.

No comments: